Friday 14 August 2015

Words from the archives #14 Crows

Probably the first one I've written that's loosly about Morden since moving there 2 years ago.
More old poems and that, click here WORDS FROM THE ARCHIVES


Crows




The internet said en masse they're called a murda.
I'm murdering time. On the bench in the
common. Sat clocking the crows.
Bossing the green, on the
grass and in the trees,
keeping the parakeets
in check.

They move like a squadron, pepper-
potting across the common.
Communicating in crow
speak. Speaking about
me perhaps.

The internet said they recognise faces, I
wonder if they notice I've been
reading this book for the
last 6 weeks.

Yesterday I experimented, got in amongst them on the grass
with a bag of BBQ Hula Hoops. Within a few carefully
executed  movements, they surrounded me. I got
scared and did that half fast walk – half
run like I’m trying to clench my bum
cheeks under pressure whilst
walking to catch a bus.

This morning I heard them in the tree outside my house going
mental like pill heads in them 90's warehouse raves
blowing on them plastic horns. On the internet I'd
read about these so called crow courts and I
wondered if that's what all the noise was
when the noise just stopped.

It suddenly occurred to me that the murder might have
murdered and what had that poor crow
done to deserve it?

Sat on the bench again and I’m watching them
watching me, I think they know that I know
something about them. Though maybe
they don’t know that I’m no threat.  
I’m just curious, unemployed and
bored of humans.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment