Wednesday 25 September 2013

Football is absurd

Weekend before last, I was at the launch night for issue number 3 of a new (ish) magazine called The Alarmist which is co-edited by fellow poet, Leeds fan and all round top bloke Gary From Leeds. The magazine is a quality publication which features short stories and poems with some pretty slick design. Anyway, much to my ignorance, I'd not really been aware of these goings on until I happened to be speaking to Gary via text, and he told me about the event which took place at The Social, just behind Oxford Street, Richard Purnell was hosting, and he's a top bloke as well (and forms a double act with Gary), so off I went.


As part of the door tax, which was £6 I believe, I got a copy of the latest issue thrown in which was a touch. Gary had told me there was a story about Millwall in there, called Millwall Territory by a writer called Nial Foley, so naturally I went straight to it. Without delving too much into the story itself, which I really enjoyed (which talked about the gentrification of Bermondsey, amongst other things, which I'm sure at some point I'll mention) I saw this quote, which really struck a chord with me, talking about being a football fan:

"Are you kidding? Being a football fan is being a muppet. Football is absurd and irrational, and if wasn't, there wouldn't be a game. You don't have to look too closely to see it is exploitative irrational tribal nonsense. It is what makes it great."

I thought he hit the nail on the head with that!

Check out The Alarmist online at http://www.alarmistmagazine.co.uk/ and check Facebook for future events

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is awe-inspiring. I have found many new things. Your way of staging is also fascinating. You have elected very incredible topic. I appreciated it.
    Buy Spain football tickets online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dakota. I've only just seen your message, thankyou very much for taking a look!

      Delete