Monday 28 October 2013

Zia Ahmed @ Tounge Fu

In terms of blogs and the fast moving world of the internet, I guess this is old. It's from last year I believe. I don't really care though. I'm not a blogger in that respect, I just like putting stuff up here that means something too me, in the hope that someone else might like it too and it affects them in the same way. Anyway...

Zia Ahmed is a poet. As far as I know he does other things to, like theater, but I know him as a poet and he's someone that I really respect and enjoy listening too. In this little world of writers and what not, people speak a lot about authenticity, whatever the actual meaning in that context is, I think it's this. I've listened to it many times and it still moves me. I'm not even going to attempt to break down what he's saying, I'm not really into that. There are people who like doing that and are into that. I'm not really one of them. Have a listen and make up your own mind. For me, it propably ranks as one of my favorite peices of spoken word and I really like the whole live recording, it makes it even better for me.

The piece was recorded at the Roundhouse (which is where I know Zia from) as part of an excellent night called Tongue Fu, where the performers (normally poets, writers, comedians etc) go on stage and have a very good backing band improvise to them. It's a bit of an institution and is run by well known poet Chris Redmond.

Zia is part of a spoken word ensemble show happening at Roundhouse called Run by A Cloud of Foxes. The show is part of the The Last Word Festival which my show is also part of. I havant sen Run yet, but Zia and a whole host of decent poets and writers are involved so it should be sick.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment