Sunday 20 October 2013

Loefah: Last time I listened...

Continuing my never-intentional tradition of being late to many things (I got a Megadrive as most kids in my year had Playstations. I started watching Sopranoes this summer etc etc). I've been listening to Loefah and his Swamp 81 label. Music is a bit different though, underground wise, it's something I've been into and been involved with, on and off, for a long time. I've probably mentioned it before but when I started MCing, UK Garage was commercially big and in the charts but the underground was taking a turn to the darker side of things. I followed that turn and it's various manifestations into Dubstep and Grime etc. Then I dropped off the radar for a bit, or my internet connection was lost or something, because the whole Dubstep thing got massive, seemingly overnight. Thing was, it wasn't the sound that I was hearing in those early trips to FWD and DMZ with my mate Jazz, or the trips to Bristol I'd make to see my brother and all his producing mates. I just wasn't, and still don't, feel it, much (I don't mind the odd tear-out track or whatever they were calling it). Anyway, one of my favorite early producers and DJ's was Loefah, and over the last few years, I just about managed to keep my toe in these things through my mate Jazz and my brother, who reliably inform me of his activities, like his label Swamp 81. I finally sat down to listen to some of his new (to me anyway) stuff, as apposed to routinely going through his early DMZ releases. Here's a pretty decent Boiler Room mix form August this year. It's sick


No comments:

Post a Comment