Tuesday 11 January 2011

Spit and Sawdust (2010)

This piece was written as part of the Edinburgh Fringe Show I did with the Roundhosue Poetry Collective, "The Greatest poet That Ever Lived." We each had to write a eulogy based around a character we imagined to be "The Greastest Poet." 





SPIT AND SAWDUST

"Nice boys feed birds
Tough boys catch birds
Rough boys slap birds
Fact is truth hurts.

If your nice - think twice
If your tough - be nice
If your rough – eff off
Life's already saturated with you bastards"

Sound advcice,
that's all I ever got.
No matter what,
he's always stop,
take 5 minutes and ask how I am.

I'd catch flies just to hear him talk,
let alone when he used to recite.
He had a way of reaching people,
seeking their level and communicating,
without ever patronizing.

I was a lost boy,
with no shoes trying to find my feet.
he offered me the shadow of his wing.
If that weren’t enough he taught me to fly.

What did I know about poetry?
the first time I met him,
I had no idea who he was.
He'd never met me,
but he knew all about me straight away at the first glance.
Scared little boy little boy lost in London,
hiding behind a thin mask of nice lad come jack the lad.

It was just an open mike.
I'd done my piece,
the night had come to a close.
Afterward this haggardly looking man approached me and said
"You need to open your mouth more when you speak,
if you don't stretch you won't reach"

I remember thinking;
"who is this guy?!"
He then said
"don't come here next week.
Me and you,
were going for a beer.
I know a little place away from the noise.”

He gave me his number and left.
Well,
he tried to leave,
but for each inch he gained closer to the exit door,
another horde of people would crowd him asking questions,
like he was some sort of prophet.
Knowing what I know now,
I’m sure he just wanted a whiskey and a cigarette.

I didn’t think poetry people drank larger.
that was the drink of the common man, surely?
The chosen drink of my mates and I.

The first lesson he taught me?
"Dismiss anything you know.
Unless you ACTUALLY know,
and I know,
that the only thing you know,
is you,
and you’re only just getting to know you.
So for now,
don't think,
just drink your larger and listen.
P.S where I grew up,
larger is for women."



No comments:

Post a Comment