Tuesday 7 January 2014

Words from the Archives #6: Dizzee from Change (2010)

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to be putting some of the pieces that I've been performing over the last 3-4 years up on my Soundcloud page. Starting with this one - Dizzee from Change. I wrote as part of a slam competition I finished runner up in at the end of the year, called Manorlogz. It was broadcast on some sort of cable channel which you can see HERE



I vividly remember that transition between garage and grime
Wobbly baselines and eerie synthesizers
Epitomizing the darker side of London life
Gone were the girly vocals
Replaced by raw instrumental space allowing an MC to demonstrate
The delicate balancing act between bravado and flow
As whole studio's previously only available to those with dough,
Were condensed and squeezed onto desktop pc's

Whatever side of the musical divide you chose
The relentless march of evolution wasn’t stopping
Time waits for no man
So the saying goes
And rightly so
Because
I've suffered many a splinter from sitting on fences
Worried that whatever side I decided to climb off Id be defenseless
For years I perched trying to search for the perfect way
To permeate the boundaries of success and away from the doldrums without being seen,
I saw attention as an enemy that could potentially halt my progress
Though thought and action were two factions that rarely agreed

In-bedded in the tred of my trainers is the memory of a thousand pounded pavements
Paces of procrastination.
Paving slabs greeted my feet anytime I sought retreat in my lunch hour
An escape from my place of work.

I took to these walks to create space for thought
My daily tours saw me over analyzing situations beyond contemplation
Until I realized immersing myself in grey clouds of thought
Was a just a subconscious delay tactic
A mental fence on which to sit
Blanketing the reality of mother nature’s very own weather report
Worried about getting caught in a shower when the forecast was heat

For the sun's rays to penetrate I needed to accept the fact that weather does change 
And the outcome is out of my hands
In order to jump off the fence and make an impact
I tried to revolutionize the way that I think
In the same way that garage dj's did when they dropped 138 Trek by Zinc

Whether or not it paid 
It triggered a chain reaction for change to happen
I'm not sure who claimed they were first to maim that skippy 2 step beat
And chop it in half
All I know is that it tore a line apart between old and new
I Love You was a long way from Bring Me Flowers
However it allowed a whole new species to blossom
The pollen of many genres responding to mistakes and lessons of the elders
Genetically encoded in the DNA of the music
And passed on like father to Son

I decided I had nothing to loose by taking risks
Other than loosing a few splinters,
And the sole's of my trainers could start connecting with a few more stages
And a few less pavements

Actions have consequences – positive and negative
So they say
No action knows no satisfaction
Sitting on the fence in isolation was frustrating
Only dipping my toe into the ebb and flow of everyday living
Would stunt the development required for essential decision making

The act of waiting becomes frustrating
And that impatience converts to bitterness
Who's only home lies in defeat

I didn’t wonna' be another could a been.

So I selected my spot.
Jumped off my fence and went to ground
I realized sometimes you have to do things on you're own.
Accept responsibility,
And just go

The same year Dizzee dropped Boy In Da Corner

I left home

No comments:

Post a Comment