Monday 7 February 2011

Plastering My Pasty Face On People Is Paving The Way Towards...?

Greetings again

After attending The Tongue In-Chic Poetry Forum  recently in Oxford, I left thinking that I'm never going to get anyway if no one knows who I am. I always believed that regardless how much talent a person had if they weren't willing to put the work in they wouldn't succeed.

In the world of Spoken Word, this hard work I speak of refers to performing (as well as all the work that goes into performing such as writing and practising). I am in the fortunate position of being in London where one can attend a spoken word event pretty much every night of the week. To date, I think I've been to maybe half of those nights on a handful of occasions - in short - not good enough!

With the exception of those rare occasions where a person / band / actor etc is plucked out of obscurity by a major record label or company with the money and power to build a PR machine the sise of Russia, slogging your guts out is par for the course, well, that's the way I see it anyway. So I will be trying my best to attend as many of these events as possible.


Speaking of which, I recently attended 3 events which I hadn't been to before, 2 of which I got to perform at. Starting with a night in Catford, run by Mark Mr T Thompson called Mixed Messages. A great night which was packed, wall to wall, I'm guessing maybe there were a 150 people there perhaps?!



This was taken of me performing at Mixed Messages 

On Thursday 3rd February, last week I performed for the first time at Rum Punch in central London. This night is run by Partners In Rhyme (Comfort and Saran) which again was jam packed with a really good crowd.



Both Pictures taken at Rum Punch by SLOETRY   http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F63xaq2p&h=4235d

Then On Sunday 6th Febuary I went RRRants at the Canden Eye. I've been aware of the RRRants collective for a while now http://www.rrrants.com/ who run events in and out of London as well as doing a lot of work within Schools. I didn't perform at this event but fellow Rubix member Talia Randal did as well as a host of other really good performers including some wicked music.

I've also been back in the studio this week doing some more music which I hope will begin to see the light of day very soon, to run alongside my pastey face (hopefully) lighting up as many gigs as possible. Here's too it

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment