Friday 28 September 2012

No Need To Apologise

Having recently given up using Facebook (it's been about 4 weeks now...), I've taken to Twitter a lot more than I ever have. I found Facebook becoming more and more intrusive and counter productive, despite being for me, easily the best way to promote an event or something I'm doing (which, by the way I really dislike promoting myself, but I have too, you understand...) but I like Twitter though. When I log in, I generally get a good stream of information and conversation that is mostly of interest to me (and I get a little buzz knowing everytime I retweet something about Millwall it appears on people's timelines who probably wonder how an earth that just happened!)

This week, whilst in the middle of an extensive procrastination workout, I was aimlessly scrolling through Twitter when I noticed someone began following me under the name of @quillbomb. The curious Cat inside of me wanted to follow the trail to the source, thus further distancing myself even further from what I was supposed to be doing. Turns out there was a website listed in the profile, and @quillbomb.is a very very don writer and poet, whom I'm sure most people in the circles I rotate in probably know about, making me, a mug. (well that's nothing new).

I wanted to share a bit of her work which I found very inspiring, as someone who apologies a lot (I don't think it's because I'm English, I'm just insecure) and this is only on the "About" section of the blog, which is called Deapologize and you should check the rest because it's banging!


deapologize’ is a collection of prose and poetry written, simultaneously, in jest and in complete stony-faced seriousness.
Some of the pieces were formulated in a state of half-blind panic. Some phrases strayed into thoughtspace while the writer was in the limbo between sleep and wake. Some were written self-assuringly, some ironically, some in desperation. Most were written in bed while in her pajamas.
deapologize has been an alphabet soup brewing on the poetry stove for a while now. If there should be a single essence to the collection, it is heralded by the needless human instinct to apologize for simply being. Thanks to this spirit-crushing society of zombies, we are made to feel sorry for our quirks, and idiosyncracies and essentially for everything that makes up our entirely unique disposition.
It is a way of being unapologetic. Of reclaiming our over-expelled ‘sorry’s and simply holding our heads high instead. Of forgoing the compulsion to meekly submit to ideas that suggest we are doing something wrong just by living however we choose to. (Some circumstances are exempt from the state of Not Being Sorry: like if you deliberately set someone’s house on fire – also known as arson, look it up mate, it’s totally illegal – then you should be sorry).
If you enjoy the writing here, you can drop the writer an email [nabilah.husna@gmail.com]. If you don’t, you, too, may drop me her email. She like emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment